Without a doubt, BizTalk Documenter is my favorite documentation tool, and I do think that if each product had a tool like for the generation of technical documentation, it would be simpler to do, as the existing documentation significantly improved. I do miss this kind of tool for Azure Integration projects.
However, each time I install this tool I always got the exact same problem:
Unable to locate the help compiler executable
which I know well, and I know why since it was very well explained by Mitch Vanhelden in this blog post.
So, why this blog post?
Well, for two main reasons:
always searching to find the link to the component I need to install;
- Basically, this is just an easy personal reminder;
- And second and most important, the link to the resource that Mitch point is obsolete and not working anymore;
Has Mitch explained in his blog post, the reason for this is quite clear, the application can’t locate the help compiler executable, either because:
- it isn’t installed à most common situation
- or it is also possible if you’re working on a 64-bit machine.
Make sure you have installed the HTML Help Workshop compiler because this is the most common cause for this issue and if not:
- First, download and install this compiler that can be found here: HTML Help Workshop and Documentation;
- And then install it, by executing the htmlhelp.exe file
- On the HTML Help Workshop 1.3 screen, click Yes
- On the HTML Help Workshop 1.3 Setup screen, click Yes
- Specify the installation directory and then click OK
- And finally, when the installation finish, click OK
After these steps, you should be able to generate the BizTalk Server documentation form the tool. Otherwise, make sure that the path to this help compiler is configured correctly in BizTalk Documenter by:
to the installation path of BizTalk Documenter
- By default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Services\BizTalk Documenter
- Open Microsoft.Services.Tools.BiztalkDocumenter.exe.config file and validate and, if necessary, change the path for the HelpCompilerLocation key that needs to contain the correct path to the HTML Help Workshop compiler component.