“Cannot proceed with installation. Biztalk server pack is installed.”, it is not the first time that I encounter this problem, the first time was while I was trying to install Cumulative Update 2 for BizTalk Server 2016 ( the error that you can see in the picture below) and more recently while I was trying to install Cumulative Update 3:
Microsoft BizTalk Server 2016 CU2 [KB 4021095]
Cannot proceed with installation. Biztalk server pack is installed. Please install Cumulative Update for BizTalk Server Feature Pack.
There is this new “kid on the block” that was introduced by the BizTalk Server Product group in BizTalk Server 2016 that is call “BizTalk Server 2016 Feature Pack”.
Microsoft will use feature pack approach as a way to provide new and non-breaking functionalities to the product at a faster pace without the need for you to wait 2 years for the next major release of the product to have new features.
However, until know – Cumulative Update 3 for BizTalk Server 2016 – the Cumulative Updates are not aligned with the feature pack. And when I say: “Cumulative Updates are not aligned with the feature pack” I mean that when Microsoft releases a new BizTalk Server Cumulative Update:
- it will not be compatible with Feature Pack 1
- you can only install it on environments without BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1 installed, otherwise you will receive the error described above.
- you need to wait a few more days/weeks for Microsoft release a new update of BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1 with the Cumulative Update included
At least based on the history until now:
- Cumulative Update 1 for BizTalk Server 2016 released
- BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1 release
- Cumulative Update 2 for BizTalk Server 2016 released (not compatible with FP1)
- BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1 with the Cumulative Update 1 released
- Cumulative Update 3 for BizTalk Server 2016 released (not compatible with FP1)
- BizTalk Server Feature Pack 1 with the Cumulative Update 3
I do not know if this behavior will change in future versions of Cumulative Updates, I hope it does and all the new CU’s will be compatible with FP1.
Important Note: as an additional note, currently if you want to install FP1 you will be forced to install Cumulative Update 3 for BizTalk Server 2016 because it is now part of the Feature Pack… so you cannot install FP1 without it.
Of course, currently, this is a false issue because Microsoft already released an updated version of Feature Pack 1 with the latest CU. But if this behavior continues to occur in future CU’s versions, you have two options:
- Abdicate the Feature Pack by uninstalling it. And then you will be able to update your BizTalk Server environment with the latest fixes.
- Be patient, and wait a few days/weeks until Microsoft release an updated version of the Feature Pack compatible with the latest CU.