Wow… what a 2+ years journey. Writing a book during the pandemic phase and dealing with all aspects of the book was a challenger, and for that, I have to say thank you to Tom Canter and Lex Hegt for taking this journey with me and thank you Kovai and Saravana for supporting us!
I was also surprised that the book was released today because today was also the day I got back to the office and provided a copy of the book to my team! A lucky coincidence! Thanks, Pedro Almeida and Diogo Formosinho, for the support during these last years.
And of course, I have to say thanks to the people that also make part of this book: Mandi Anez Ohlinder for writing the foreword, Steve Lemkau, and JoAnn Een for reviewing it!
Migrating to BizTalk Server 2020
This book is intended to be a valuable resource for managers, architects, developers, testers, and administrators involved in migrating BizTalk Server platforms and solutions running on previous versions toward BizTalk Server 2020. It will provide practical recipes and strategies that will help them enhance and strengthen their knowledge in this sensitive and sometimes complicated upgrade process.
This book is a “mini” bible to migrate your BizTalk Server to the last version of the product covering all most aspects of this topic:
- Overview of BizTalk Server 2020: will provide the reader with a full overview of BizTalk Server 2020, the latest version of the product, addressing topics like what are the main components and core features, what is new, what was deprecated or removed from this version and hardware and Software requirements & supported versions as well
- Migration Drivers (why upgrade to BizTalk Server 2020): Many companies have this idea that upgrading to newer versions of BizTalk Server can be challenging, and they tend to skip certain version upgrades to minimize the effort and the costs. This chapter aims to address and discuss the main reasons why you should migrate from the previous version of the BizTalk Server to this latest version
- Preparing for Your Upgrade: There are specific tasks, considerations, and components standard in each platform migration, but in the end, every BizTalk Server migration is different from each other. This chapter will go thru the Evaluate, Plan, and Implement (EPI) approach, providing you a path for completing your upgrade in a controlled and timely manner, focusing on the key considerations that need to be taken into account when planning your migration
- In-place upgrade: Despite in-place migration or BizTalk Server upgrade is not supported in all scenarios, and in most cases, not recommended in production environments. It is still a valid option. This chapter will outline the key considerations that need to be taken into account when planning an in-place migration of your BizTalk Server environment
- Migrating to BizTalk Server 2020 (side-by-side): Side-by-side migration is probably the most common migration path used. And once we decided on this approach, we need to understand and clarify all the steps that need to be performed to migrate from your previous BizTalk Server version to BizTalk Server 2020. his chapter will discuss the steps around setting up the new platform, making you aware of challenges that come with maintaining multiple (live) environments, and providing you will all the tips and recommendations for you to migrate your BizTalk solutions peacefully and transparently. After completing this chapter, you will be aware of and understand what will be involved in a migration process and the efforts required for each component
- Migrating to Azure: This last chapter covers the key takeaways that you need to consider before deciding to migrate or move your on-premiss BizTalk Server machines to Azure Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). When you can and can’t move, why you should move and what will be required. While not the focus of this book, this chapter will also briefly look at the BizTalk Server solution migration process to Azure Integration Services. Highlighting what will be possible or not, the difficulties you might encounter, and some approaches they could use to make this transition as simple as possible
Where can I order the book?
For now, the book is available for you can order the book online at Shopify here:
I hope you enjoy it!
Finally, to my wife Fernanda and my children Leonor, Laura e José, my life would be empty and meaningless without all your hugs, jokes, crying to demand attention, affection, and all our other crazy things. Thanks for being part of my life.