If you are dealing with large maps, they can become very complex and therefore very difficult to maintain and read.
To minimize this problem, BizTalk Server provides two main features to aid in the readability and maintainability of maps:
- Grid Pages: You can segment groups of links onto different grid pages. BizTalk allows you to create, remove, delete and order grid pages. You can see this like different pages or segments of links of the map. By default, the map file is created with one grid page named “Page 1”.
- The maximum number of grid pages is 20. (BizTalk 2010 no longer has the limitation of 20 grid pages that exist in the previous versions of the product)
- Link Labels: By default, a functoid will show XPath designation if linked directly to a destination field, or it will show the name of the previous functoid if it’s linked from another functoid. However, if the input links to a functoid are labeled, then the Label property of the link will be shown, therefore it will be more easy to read.
- Select the link to be labeled, right-click, and select properties;
- Fill the label property
How to Manage Grid Pages
- To add a grid page:
- On the BizTalk menu, click Add Page. You can also right-click an existing grid page name and click Add Page from the shortcut menu.
- To rename a grid page
- On the BizTalk menu, click Rename Page. You can also right-click an existing grid page name and click Rename Page from the shortcut menu, or double-click an existing grid page name
- Type a new name, and then press ENTER.
- To reorder grid pages
- On the BizTalk menu, click Reorder Pages. You can also right-click an existing grid page name and click Reorder Pages from the shortcut menu
- In the Reorder Pages dialog box, select the grid page you want to move, then click the Up arrow or Down arrow to change the relative position of the grid page
- Repeat step 2 for other grid pages, as appropriate, and then click OK.
- To delete a grid page
- Select the grid page you want to delete, and then on the BizTalk menu, click Delete Page. You can also right-click an existing grid page name and click Delete Page from the shortcut menu
- In the confirmation dialog box, click Yes.